Starting a Copywriting business is both daunting, and exciting. This post presents 7 basic tips that will make your life a lot easier.
Do keep a list of the things you need to do each month, and have a plan.
1) Create a "terms of service" document, then mail it to new clients before beginning your work. Here you can outline their expectations as well as yours.
2) Create a nice business card and brochure and use it for direct mailing...yes it still exists. If you target your potential clients first you will waste less time and money. To do this you have to do your research on the client; perhaps even a cold call first.
3) Create a niche and leverage your knowledge.
4) Your website is the most important thing, so make it amazing. You must keep it updated and have a blog. Mine is only once a month because I am too busy. However, I do update the site on a weekly basis.
5) Do loads of research on the types of audiences you will write for. Interviewing is a good way to start.
6) This one's important. Keep your social media platforms up to date and use them only for business. If you do that you will have more readers. Join lots of online groups, and you will get even more readers.
7) Connect with other freelance writers. Most of them will be supportive of what you're doing, don't look to family and friends because they won't understand you...trust me on this one:(
Last, but not least, is to keep learning about your topics, and join copywriting associations. This is where you often get good advice and support about common issues in the practice.
Your skills are in demand, but you need to hone these skills first. Practice with blogs and see how many follows you can get. You can also practice with social media. Don't forget to keep reading and researching what makes great copy.